Thursday, December 07, 2006

Some Recent Drawings



I date my drawings knowing that any one of them might be copied or scanned, appear anywhere else, other than in the drawing books I work with.
The store-bought books are those hard cover black ones you find in any art supply store. I've for decades been using these drawing books logs, keeping the drawings and jottings of my thoughts as my journals. I've come to regard drawings as a form of thought.


Often, as is the case of the three pages shown here, adding of color markers starts another process. The blank white paper, the page is itself a rorchach, but the found colors coming from the verso side of the page is moreso. It is as though I'm reading tea leaves -am a medium communing with something in the beyond. I've come to learn and appreciate that the pages in my drawing books are never 'blank'.

But on the stained pages, the line made image have a dance partner!


In the making of my drawings, it has come about a modus operandi that is very quintessential to how I make my book art.

There is a kind of sleepwalking aspect to this. I'm a sort of like a Mr. Magoo blundering along manipulating my way on scaffoldings, aalong rooftop ledges, on precipices of disaster, death, and the abyss -and somehow I miraculously get home, if not a bit tousled and unkempt, unscathed. I've made something. And all is well that ends well. :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger nina said...

"I've come to regard drawings as a form of thought. "

Norman, this is a very wise way to look at your work. How you choose to express your feelings, thoughts, or ideas is a unique and special thing. I think your drawings are marvelous!

While I choose to weave with words, you choose to tailor with image and color, yet the expression is still the same.

Thank you so much for sharing these little pieces of how these things leave your mind and become tangible and then therefore can be shared with the rest of us. Truly lovely.

xoxo,
nina

December 7, 2006 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Norman Shapiro said...

Nina,

I just wish my postings were as much fun to read.
I hope you'll visit here often.

Norman

December 7, 2006 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger nina said...

Norman,

Thank you so much for the open invitation, and please know that I will always visit you here as often as my time allows. I truly do enjoy reading your thoughts and viewing your work.

xoxo,
nina

December 8, 2006 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Norman Shapiro said...

Nina,

'Heartfelt' is the word that surfaces.
Approximate.


Your friend, Norman

December 9, 2006 at 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home