Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Walk in Chelsea

We're on Ninth Avenue on the southwest corner of W27th Street in Manhattan. I'm using a digital camera that belongedto my daughter. I think this was in the spring of 2006.

I'm heading toward the gallery district down a street (I don't know exactly which one) one that has these lovely brownstones -when this flowering tree stopped me and I took this snapshot.





I approach 10th Avenue a few blockes below W23rd Street on the top picture, and on the 2nd I cross W10th a few blocks above W23rd. There are many galleries (on street level and on theupper floors of the many buildings between 10the and 11th Avenues. most of them situated north of 14th street on up as far as W34th Street. Well, the district mapped as that of the Chelsea area of Manhattan. Below is obe photo inside one of the galleries I visited.




The two men dressed in drag are the artists whose work is on view. I came in on their being interviewed. I do believe the lady and they were making a video of it.

There are places where I can look down a street and see the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING dramatically silouetted. It is always a delight and startling when it occurs.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I know a lot of people say that New York ain't as glamerous as it is BUT I still think it is <3 and I still really want to study there.

June 17, 2007 at 3:21 AM  
Blogger Norman Shapiro said...

Thank you Karen for your comment.

New York was and is my home. I was born and raised in Brooklyn. My first visits to Manhattan was across the Williamsburg Bridge to Delancy Street as a child. During my teen years, I took the BMT subway from Benson hurst (south Brooklyn) to Union Square where I had a summer job as a packer at S.Klein, a department store that has long been torn down. I attended Cooper Union nights and worked days for four years -occupied a condemned cold water 2nd floor flat on 3rd Avenue during a few of those years. The third Avenue El roaored passed my window back then.

I never dreamed than that some 50 + years into the future, I'd own a place, live in Chelsea! -Never dreamed I'd be a realio trulio 'Manhattanite'.

No 45 minutes or more commuting to see a museum or a concert or a Broadway show.... Living in Manhattan is having the world of art, music, haute cuisine of the world right in walking distance or a fifteen, twenty minute train ride away. I stroll to some of the finest art galleries from where I reside. Each day is a Gee Whiz happening.

June 17, 2007 at 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home